The Frenchman has been punished for not having the right level of coaching qualifications to coach in Spain, but one of his most vocal critics has slammed the sanctions
Real Madrid reserve team coach Zinedine Zidane has received support from an unlikely source as one of his biggest detractors has condemned the three-month ban imposed against the Frenchman.
Rayo Vallecano head coach Paco Jemez clashed verbally with Carlo Ancelotti, who coaches the Blancos’ first team, earlier in October after saying he “would not consider him a colleague as he doesn’t have the necessary badges” which the Italian took issue with.
Zidane – who requires Level 3 qualifications to coach in Spain but only has Level 2 ones – was subsequently bannedfrom being on the touchline for Real Madrid Castilla for a quarter of a year, with his deputy Santiago Sanchez also disciplined for using his badges to shield the former France international from being caught out originally.
The punishment imposed by Segunda Division, however, has been considered harsh by fellow second-tier coach Jemez, who says it would instead have been fairer to just make Zidane get the licences required without a strict ban against him.
“I do not agree with the punishment,” he told Marca. “I’m not pleased about it, I would not have imposed those sanctions.
“What I would have done is to ask him to take a step back from his role until he finished his qualifications, but I would not have banned him for three months.”
Zidane and Real Madrid are expected to appeal the verdict and have 10 days from Monday October 27, when the decision was announced, to register it.