Ronaldo's Real Madrid relationship never been better – Perez

The Blancos president told reporters that he has not spoken to the Portuguese about his press silence, but insisted his star player is happy in Spain

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez claims Cristiano Ronaldo’s relationship with the club is better than ever and that the Portuguese will break his media blackout “when we win La Undecima”.

Perez called a press conference at the Santiago Bernabeu on Thursday to deny reports claiming coach Carlo Ancelotti will be sacked if Madrid lose the Clasico at Camp Nou next weekend and also answered questions on a wide range of topics.

Among them was Ronaldo’s refusal to talk to the media until the end of the season, a decision the Portuguese transmitted to reporters in the mixed zone after Madrid’s disappointing 4-3 defeat to Schalke on Tuesday which saw the defending champions scrape though to the last eight thanks to a 5-4 aggregate win.

“I am not going to make the mistake of questioning Ronaldo as others have,” Perez said when asked about the forward’s comparatively slow start to 2015.

“Not long ago we were all in Switzerland and he was picking up the Ballon d’Or. All of the players have had a dip in form and now they are working to recover from that. And he is fighting to win the Ballon d’Or once again.

“I have been here many years, and Ronaldo’s relationship with the club is the best or one of the best I have seen in my time here.”

The club chief revealed he had not spoken to the club’s star player about his press silence, but claimed Ronaldo will speak to the media again in the near future.

“I speak little or not at all,” Perez said. “Only when I think the criticism can damage the socios and the players.

“The coach speaks in the press conferences, the players also. I haven’t spoken to Ronaldo about his silence with the press… but I am sure he will come out and talk soon – especially when we have won La Undecima.”

Meanwhile, Perez opined that press coverage of Ronaldo’s birthday party had been blown out of all proportion and said the event will be looked upon later as “an anecdote” and nothing more.

“Ronaldo invited some friends to celebrate his birthday,” he said. “It was given a lot of coverage that it shouldn’t have been given. Some players don’t understand such criticism, but I think it will end up as just an anecdote.”

The club chief also responded to questions about Gareth Bale after criticism over the winger’s recent poor form and described the Welshman as “one of the best players in the world”.

“I don’t believe Bale is one of the problems in this team,” he said. “We signed him and when we unveiled him, he had a hernia problem, but I knew about that. Then they said he wasn’t a footballer, now that we have to change the system so that he doesn’t play. That is what does damage.

“Bale is one of the best players in the world. The best teams fought to sign him and will continue to do so. Let us not forget that in his first season here, he scored in the two finals we played.”

Bale, Karim Benzema and Cristiano form the ‘BBC’ trident that has also been under fire over the last few weeks, but Perez claims the trio produced the finest performance in the history of the Champions League and should stay together in Ancelotti’s side.

“We have had good times and bad times here,” he said. “Everything is relative. We had a great season up until December, but we have had a mixture of bad luck and injuries, especially in midfield. We are second in La Liga and in the quarter-finals of the Champions League. Like with Bale, it’s not normal that the players go from being hailed as the best in the world and then get called the worst.

“The best game in the history of the Champions League was in Munich (last season’s 4-0 win in the Champions League semi-finals) – and everyone remembers how the ‘BBC’ played in that match.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *