The 29-year-old was nullified in the defeat to Germany, and the Stars and Stripes are hoping to do the same when they come up against the Real Madrid star on Sunday
Kyle Beckerman has revealed the USA are leaving no stone unturned in their bid to stop Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of their clash with Portugal.
The two sides will collide at the Arena Amazonia in Manaus, but are coming off the back of very different results.
The Stars and Stripes could advance to the last-16 with a win, following a 2-1 victory against Ghana in their opening Group G match.
On the other hand, Portugal are fighting to stay in the competition, following their 4-0 defeat against Germany in their opening group game.
Cristiano Ronaldo is again expected to start for the Seleccao, despite ongoing problems with tendinitis in his knee, and Beckerman says the USA have special plans in place for the Real Madrid man.
“So far it’s just been about watching their team,” he began, “We’ll get into tiny details and things like that when it gets a bit closer but we all know it’s going to take 11 of us completely focused.
“We’re going to have to know exactly where he is at all times while we’re attacking. That’s when he can be most dangerous, because if you lose the ball the next thing you know it’s in the back of your net.
“That’s how dangerous he is. We’re going to have to be aware of him at all times and be really clean with the ball.
Beckerman’s partner in the centre of midfield, Jermaine Jones, then spoke about the prospect of sealing progression to the knockout stages with a game to play.
“We’ll do everything and try everything to win this game,” he said.
“So if we win the game and they lose it we can say that they are out of the tournament so I’m 100 percent sure that they will try everything to win it.
“We have a lot of respect for the players they have in their team but we know if we win that game, we are already through to the next round so we’ll be concentrating 100 per cent on that game.”