Borussia Dortmund are sweating on the fitness of Ilkay Gundogan, Mario Gotze and Marcel Schmelzer ahead of their Champions League encounter with Real Madrid on Wednesday.
Midfielder Gundogan has been missing from action with a back problem and is unlikely to return, while Gotze (hamstring) and Schmelzer (foot) will be handed late fitness tests.
Real Madrid welcome Sami Khedira back into the squad after he missed the win over Celta Vigo because of a leg injury sustained on international duty with Germany.
Full-backs Alvaro Arbeloa, Marcelo and Fabio Coentrao remain sidelined, so Sergio Ramos and Michael Essien will continue at right and left-back respectively.
- The Bundesliga giants have never beaten Real Madrid in European competition in four attempts (D2, L2).
- Dortmund have failed to win any of their last five home encounters with Spanish clubs.
- Real Madrid have won five of their last six matches across all competitions.
- The Castilian side have won just one of their 23 previous away games against German opponents (W1, D6, L16).
- Cristiano Ronaldo (pictured, right) has scored four goals in the Champions League; more than any other player this season. He has also had more attempts on target (14) than any other player.