Figo defends Ronaldo party

The forward was criticised for celebrating his 30th birthday following the 4-0 defeat to Atletico Madrid but his compatriot says critics are wrong to question his professionalism


Portugal legend Luis Figo has leapt to the defence of Cristiano Ronaldo following the furore surrounding his decision to throw a 30th birthday after Real Madrid’s 4-0 defeat at the hands of city rivals Atletico.

Ronaldo turned 30 last Thursday and had already planned to celebrate the milestone on Saturday evening, but has been criticised by supporters and sections of the media who have questioned his professionalism.

However, Figo, who is one of four candidates challenging Fifa president Sepp Blatter to become head of the game’s governing body, hit back at critics of his compatriot on Twitter.

He said: “Anyone who doubts Cristiano Ronaldo’s passion for professionalism and that of Real Madrid’s is completely without knowledge of their history and character.”

Quien dude de la pasión de @Cristiano por el Real @realmadrid y su profesionalismo, desconoce por completo su historia y su carácter.

— Luís Figo (@LuisFigo) February 10, 2015

Figo’s words of support come after Ronaldo’s agent, Jorge Mendes, offered his backing to his client on Monday, claiming the player’s friends and family had already arrived in Madrid prior to the game.

Photos of the party surfaced on the internet, with the images showing Madrid team-mates Fabio Coentrao, Marcelo, Keylor Navas, James Rodriguez and Luka Modric among 150 revellers at an exclusive venue situated in the outskirts of Madrid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *